Kansas City Airplane Accident Lawyer
Representing Missouri Aviation Accident Victims
Travel by air is generally considered a safe form of transportation, with accidents a rare occurrence. When an airplane accident does occur, however, it is likely to cause numerous fatalities. There is also the matter of smaller accidents involving private planes or incidents on runways or accidents that occur on a plane or in the airport that may need to be addressed. Understanding what to do after an airplane accident may be difficult. By contacting a Kansas City personal injury lawyer at our law offices, you have the opportunity to discuss your case with a professional who can offer you straightforward advice.
You may be struggling with the loss of a loved one in a plane crash or may be dealing with injuries sustained in an accident while the plane was on the runway or while you were in the airport. By reviewing your particular case and talking to you about your needs and concerns, a Kansas City personal injury attorney from our firm can determine exactly how to help you.
NTSB Airplane Accident Investigations
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigates aviation accidents and issues accident reports of all United States airline accidents and some overseas accidents as well. According to accident statistics from 1998-2007, there were more fatalities per million flight hours in general aviation (private part 91) flights than in any other type of flight, including commuter planes, commuter airlines, scheduled and nonscheduled airliners. According to statistics from OAG Aviation accident database, based on crash review from 1993-2012 of 78 major world airlines, the odds of a passenger being killed on a single airline flight are one in 4.7 million. While aviation accidents are statistically rare, they do happen and when they do, they are serious.
Common Causes of Aviation Accidents
Airplane crash investigations are necessary to determine the cause of the accident. Once the cause is known, the NTSB can take disciplinary action if necessary and suggest stricter airline regulations to prevent further accidents of that nature. According to statistics, here are some of the most common causes of aviation accidents:
- Air Traffic Control Errors- Errors in judgment, incorrect guidance, violation of separation rules and poor communication on behalf of air traffic control can cause confusion and serious accidents.
- Cabin/Cargo Fires- Many of these fires cite "unknown origin" on the crash report, but some are caused by mechanical defects.
- Defect in the Plane Design or Mechanics- Examples include design flaws in the propellers, wings, rudders or mechanical defects such as in the fire warning or oxygen systems.
- Fuel-Related Accidents- These accidents describe planes that crash or had to come to an emergency landing because they ran out of fuel.
- Poor Weather Conditions- Many pilots delay flights due to poor weather conditions, but some choose to fly through snow, lightning and extreme wind.
- Pilot Error- Lapses in judgment, intoxication, and other pilot errors can take down entire planes.
Contacting a Kansas City Personal Injury Attorney
At Wendt Goss, P.C. we assist clients throughout the Kansas City area who need to file a personal injury or
wrongful death claim for an airplane accident or airport injury. We handle claims that involve personal and commercial aircraft and all levels of injury. With our experience and resources, we are able to handle lawsuits against large commercial airline companies, manufacturers and other parties that may be held accountable.
It is often difficult to handle these cases, but with the proper legal resources and representation you have the opportunity to recover full financial compensation when you need it most. Get started in receiving the legal counsel you need after an airplane accident. Your initial consultation with an attorney at our offices is free and confidential, and you pay no legal fees unless we win your case through a negotiated settlement or in civil court. Contact a Kansas City airplane accident lawyer today!