Kansas City Truck Accident Lawyer
Information for Victims of Commercial Truck Accidents
When a person is involved in a motor vehicle accident with a semi-truck and their own passenger vehicle, the results are virtually always catastrophic. From whiplash injuries to broken bones to
wrongful death, emergency response crews have seen every type of injury stem from these accidents. What makes commercial truck accidents so dangerous? The truth of the matter is that trucks are much larger and much heavier than passenger vehicles and can cause destruction even at slow speeds.
To make matters worse, many truck drivers have been driving and carrying cargo for long hours, leading to serious fatigue. The Missouri State law regarding maximum driving time allows these truckers to drive up to eleven consecutive hours in some cases. If you or someone you love has suffered any type of injury due to a commercial truck accident, immediately speak to a
Kansas City personal injury attorney at our office. You may be entitled to pursue compensation if a truck driver's negligent behavior led to your injuries.
Causes of Big Rig, Semi Truck and 18 Wheeler Accidents
Rampant negligence in the trucking industry undoubtedly leads to a majority of the commercial trucking accidents that take place not only in the Kansas City area, but throughout the United States each year. The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) have established regulations for commercial vehicles in order to increase roadway safety. Despite these regulations, some of the most common causes of truck accidents are:
- Truck Driver Fatigue: Hours of Operation (HOS) regulations forbid truckers from driving over a certain amount of hours without necessary resting breaks, but fatigue-related crashes are common.
- Mechanical Failure: The most common type of mechanical failure is brake failure. This can prove disastrous if traffic suddenly slows down or a leading vehicle slams on their brakes.
- Distracted Driving: Practices such as cell phone use and driving as well as things like eating and other activities that take one's eyes off of the road can prove fatal.
- Reckless Driving: Speeding and unsafe lane changes aren't just for drivers of passenger vehicles. Commercial truckers can cause serious actions as a result of their impatience.
Facts About Commercial Trucks
- A fully-loaded commercial vehicle can weigh up to 80,000 pounds.
- Truckers have to record their driving and resting hours in a driving log.
- Many drivers and trucking companies encourage falsifying logs.
- Truckers are not allowed to drive more than 11 hours after 10 consecutive off-duty hours.
- One survey of truckers revealed that around 30 percent of truckers admitted to falling asleep at the wheel at some point during the previous month.
- The U.S. DOT released data indicating that approximately 30 percent of commercial truck accidents are caused by mechanical failure such as brake defects.
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) conducted research which revealed that large trucks account for approximately 12 percent of total traffic fatalities annually.
Missouri Truck Accident Attorneys at Wendt Goss, P.C.
These collisions are often very serious and may be complicated to deal with. A truck accident has the potential to cause catastrophic injuries to the occupants of the other vehicle due to the disparity in size and weight between the two vehicles. A resulting insurance claim or lawsuit may be hard to handle due to the fact that it may involve liability on the part of the large trucking company and/or the driver of the truck. It is therefore crucial to ensure that you involve a
Kansas City truck accident lawyer from Wendt Goss, P.C. who is experienced in handling these particular claims. You may have the right to recover a significant amount of monetary compensation, but without proper legal counsel you might be unable to take full advantage of this opportunity.
Dealing with the aftermath of a collision with a large truck is often difficult, but it does not have to be impossible. An experienced Missouri personal injury attorney can offer you moral support and the respect and compassion you need while handling every aspect of your case to assist you in seeking and recovering financial damages from the responsible party. These are generally more complex than other traffic-related accidents, so it is important to ensure the firm you choose to work with has the resources and know-how related to these particular accidents. At Wendt Goss, P.C., you will find that we have the capability to properly handle your truck accident claim. Contact our office today for more information.