Kansas City Dog Bite Attorney

Personal Injury Lawyer Handling Dog Attack Cases

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4.5 million Americans are bitten by dogs each year. One in five of these bites results in injuries that result in medical care. Over 1,000 people go to the emergency room for dog bite injuries every day in the United States. Each year, dog bite fatalities usually range in the 20s or higher.

Children in particular are the most vulnerable to dog attacks. Over half of the 800,000 individuals who seek medical treatment for dog bites are kids. After you are bitten by a dog it is recommended that you clean the wound with soap and warm water, contact your physician immediately, report the incident to your local animal control agency and gather information about the dog's breed, color, size and determine who the dog's owner is.

It is also a good idea to take pictures of your injuries and to avoid giving a recorded statement to the insurance company or signing any insurance company forms until you have secured the representation of an attorney.

Dog Bite Injuries

Dog bite injuries can include anything from simple marks to serious scars or infections such as Rabies. Other injuries can include:

  • Puncture wounds
  • Lacerations
  • Cuts and scrapes
  • Tissue loss
  • Muscle loss
  • Hair loss
  • Fractured bones
  • Blood vessel and nerve damage
  • Disfiguration
  • Infection
  • Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Anxiety
  • Fear
  • Depression
  • Embarrassment

Individuals injured in dog attacks will often need serious medical treatment, surgery, rehabilitation and therapy. Sometimes skin grafts will be required or permanent disfigurement may require plastic surgery.

A dog attack may be one of the most frightening experiences that an adult or child will ever experience. These incidents may cause more than physical injury but lasting emotional trauma and a permanent wariness of dogs.

One of the most important things you can do if you were bitten by a dog is to review your legal options by discussing the matter with an experienced Kansas City personal injury lawyer from our firm. With proper legal counsel, you have the opportunity to hold the dog owner responsible for the injuries you experienced.

Owner Liability & Missouri Dog Bite Law

In Missouri, a dog owner may be held strictly liable for any injuries his or her animal inflicts upon another person. Unlike in other states where a dog essentially gets "one bite free" and an owner cannot be held responsible if the dog showed no previous aggressive or dangerous behavior, a Missouri dog owner will be held accountable regardless of the dog's past actions.

The only exception to the strict liability rule in this regard may apply if the dog bite victim provoked the dog or was trespassing on the dog owner's property. If a victim was partially responsible, he or she would be held accountable for that percentage of financial damages. For example, it may be decided that the victim was 20% accountable. The dog owner would therefore only be liable for the remaining 80% of the financial damages in the claim.

Enlist a Missouri Dog Bite Lawyer from Wendt Goss, P.C.

Every case has different factors. Whether your case involves a dog that belongs to a neighbor or stranger, involves an owner's failure to confine the dog or supervise the dog or whether it involves a dog with "vicious propensities" you can be confident that we will devote a 100% of our resources towards your case!

Make sure you are not held responsible in a case where you were attacked without provoking the situation! Retaining the legal counsel of an experienced lawyer will enable you to focus on healing and moving on while your claim is in competent hands. Contact one of our Kansas City dog bite lawyers at Wendt Goss, P.C. for a free, confidential review of your case. If you are affected by a dog bite, get in touch with someone who can help.