The Fair Labor Standards Act & Employee Rights
The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) is federal law which enforces fair wages, work hours, and the overall fair treatment of employees in the U.S. Some of the most recognizable FLSA laws are those that eliminate child labor, outlaw discrimination, and guarantee the national minimum wage. If you are an employee and you believe that your rights are being violated, you may have a right to file an FLSA claim. At Wendt Goss, our Kansas City employment lawyers have recovered millions of dollars on behalf of local workers and are prepared to protect your rights.
Employment Cases We Handle
Our legal team is experienced in representing employees who have suffered losses as a result of FLSA violations.
Cases we handle include:
- Minimum wage claims
- Overtime claims
- Discrimination, including age, race, and gender discrimination
- Workplace harassment
Our firm handles the full range of FLSA claims, including common overtime violations. Qualifying employees are entitled to time and a half pay for every hour worked over the typical 40-hour workweek. One of the most common ways employers violate wage and hour laws is by misclassifying their employees as exempt, such as is the case with "independent contractors." We also represent workers who have been harassed in the workplace or discriminated against by employers.
Wage Theft Claims
Our firm investigates cases involving wage theft claims, including those related to overtime compensation, commissions, and vacation time. If you believe that you are not being paid the wages you deserve, our attorneys can review your case and determine if you have a right to file a claim.
We represent employees from all industries, including those who are often underpaid:
- Servers & Bartenders – Employees who earn tips, including waiters and bartenders, and are required to spend at least 20% of their time performing non-tipped duties are entitled to the minimum wage.
- Unpaid Interns – Unpaid interns, including students, may be entitled to wages in certain situations, even if an internship is unpaid.
- Commissioned Salespersons – Workers who earn commissions on sales are often eligible for overtime and for unpaid commissions.
- Financial Analysts – Many entry-level financial analysts are entitled to overtime wages.
- Assistant Managers – Assistant Managers who earn salary are often entitled to overtime pay.
- IT Workers – Workers in the IT industry who are paid salary are commonly not paid for overtime.
- Call Center Workers – Employees who work in call centers and are required to spend hours at work during unpaid "prep-time" may be entitled to unpaid wages.
- Installers – Employees who work long hours in installation are entitled to overtime pay.
- Independent Contractors – Individual contractors are routinely entitled to unpaid wages.
FLSA Claim Attorney in Kansas City, Missouri
If your employer is violating your rights and you are interested in taking legal action, then do not hesitate to contact a Kansas City FLSA claim lawyer from our firm. At Wendt Goss, we fight for employee rights and see that they are being treated according to their rights under the FLSA.
To learn more about your rights and how our firm can help, call 816-531-4415 for a free consultation.